19 February 2012

THE FINAL STEP - meet Ben Whitaker

THE FINAL STEP, CAFE,
SOUTH YARRA.
Meet Ben Whitaker

For this, my very first interview and shoot for Espresso Tales, it was a pleasure to meet Ben Whitaker owner of The Final Step. 

After helping his parents open 'The Courthouse Cafe', in Alexandra, New Zealand back in 2002, Ben knew he wanted to open his own cafe someday. After a 4 year stint teaching in London Ben headed for Melbourne to realise his ambition. He was pretty sure Melbourne would be the place for him with his interest in sport, music and his seedling interest in coffee...

In 2009 The Final Step was born.



RH - BACK IN 2009 WHAT ATTRACTED YOU TO THIS CAFE SITE?

BW - I wasn't looking in South Yarra specifically, I looked everywhere... but it was the size of it and the fact that it is off the main road that won me. It is part of the Melbourne attraction to lane-ways and 'hidden gems' I guess. Because of the location I would say 90% of my customers are regulars. I like that. Relationship is important to me.



RH - WHAT INSPIRED THE LOOK OF THE CAFE?

BW - I wanted the earthy colours, and plenty of wood - but I was on a budget so it has sort of evolved over time as I get the time and money.We recycled where possible, for example the menu boards (on wall behind counter) used to be recycled cupboard doors from when we put in the cake fridge and were recently replaced with some of our old table tops. The piano, I grew up with a piano so like the homeliness of it. The textured look to the green walls was kind of accidental - I was changing the colour of the walls and really like the effect of only one coat with the other shade showing through. So I left it at one coat!



RH - WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE?

BW - Earning the trust of customers. It takes time, and it grows even as confidence in your own product grows. It is so important to have a really good product.

RH - WHAT IS YOUR CALLING? WHAT  KEEPS YOU GOING?

BW - It's the coffee. Definitely the coffee. I am learning all the time. My friend Kris Wood helped me with the basics, though eventually it comes down to practice and constantly tasting to make sure it is the best it can be. We are doing our own roasting at the moment, building up to retailing beans, but we are still working on the blend.
I am in to the food too. Food used to be just something you ate, until I came to Melbourne. And the other big thing for me is dealing with people, the relationships.



RH - IN YOUR OPINION WHAT ARE THE 3 MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENTS TO A SUCCESSFUL CAFE?

BH - Great coffee, comfortable atmosphere and friendly service.

RH - LOOKING BACK ON THE JOURNEY, WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN?

BH - Yes, it would be easier next time. I would stress less!


Thanks Ben! It was a pleasure, I will be back to sample the coffee (damn this head-cold!)

The Final Step
1c Murphy Street
South Yarra
Melbourne3141

Mon - Fri 7.30am - 4.40am
Sat & Sun 8.30am - 3pm

Words and images (c) www.rhphoto.com.au
The Final Step on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment